Skip to main content

Why the educated youth must join politics... the hurdles... and why they need to lobby for a better judicial system to make their dream a reality...

In the backdrop of the Mumbai terror attacks, there has been a lot of talk about the need to go and vote... the need to elect the right government... the need for educated youth to come up and join politics and the need for a new political force that can bring about the real change. This topic is something that’s very close to my heart, as ever since I can remember, may be since I was eight years old or so, I remember my father always told me that it is not politics which is dirty, but the people in politics who have made it dirty; and that politics is the biggest service to a nation that one can think of; something that able and educated men with leadership skills should always think of keeping in the forefront of their ambition list. As a response to my workshops on the Great Indian Dream, as well as to my editorials – especially the ones criticising the government, and more especially the last two on the Mumbai blasts – many people have sent me messages: why criticise; why not try to be the change!

Yes, the truth is, I have personally always believed that politics is where the educated youth should be. Some of my published interviews, which date back to as early as 1997, stand testimony to the fact that I myself had wished to be a part of the political process sometime in my life – my students from the ‘94 batch at IIPM and onwards would vouch that that is the truth, because they have heard me say so time and again. What’s also the biggest truth is that, year after year, when my students come and ask me where should I want to see them fifteen years or so down the line, without an iota of doubt, this has always been my answer – in politics! And parents of our students who have heard me speak at the orientation programme at IIPM or at the convocation programmes at IIPM know that that has always been my advice for their children... for I know one of the biggest strengths at IIPM is our super combination of entrepreneurial and management education, along with sharp and incisive education in economics – some things our politicians have always lacked! Either our leaders have been great managers with no understanding of economics leading to disaster, or our leaders have been great economists with no clue about management and leadership, and, therefore, have spelt disaster. To me, one of the stories that unforgettably describe India’s tragedy is about ‘The mother of India who had two sons.’ One knew how to run (the country, that is) but went to fly and met his end; the other knew how to fly, but went to run and met his end. Symbolically, that has always been India’s problem – misallocation of resources and incapable leaders at the top; and that’s why I have always considered our students to be great resource material as future politicians of this country with the perfect mix of education – for management education doesn’t always mean only focusing on how to maximise private profits. That’s not to say others aren’t capable, but just because I am personally involved with teaching IIPM students, through them, I want to show my faith and passion in my belief in the role of youth in politics.

Well, having said how passionately I believe that the clean and educated youth in India should be a part of politics, I must also say that unfortunately, the government has created a system that is non-conducive for clean people to enter politics. It doesn’t allow the youth with the passion and education to just jump in and start making the change; because if they were to do so, they would only end up being disillusioned; or worse, a part of the corrupt system itself. It’s because elections in this country are neither fought with passions and policies nor with candlelight processions. Elections are fought by motorcycle brigades with guns in hand. The truth is that Indian politics is not fought with ideology, but with muscle power and ruthless rigging in the interiors. Indian politics is a hierarchy of criminals and goons. At the grassroots, a local MLA wins through a bunch of goons. On top of a few such MLAs sits the MP; and on top of such mostly criminal and corrupt MPs sits the Prime Minister. And that a man sitting as the Prime Minster could be a poet, a literary genius, who knows 17 languages or an economist, but the reality is that he sits there because his party has a hierarchy of criminals; and the stronger this criminalisation is at the grassroots level, the tougher it is to defeat them – West Bengal being a case in point. You can be a big leader – say an Uma Bharti – but the moment the system of criminalisation that you sit upon and win elections with is gone, you are reduced to a nonentity. Even a cosmopolitan state like Delhi has no place for educated, clean people. Only those who get key party tickets have won over the years.

Yet, we know – and should believe – that one day, the educated must take over this system... One day, the youth must come forward and make the difference... But before clean and honest youth can come forward, we need to give the youth the environment to fight on the basis of policies and passion and not on the basis of guns. And for that to happen, we need a very very strong and powerful judiciary that is alive and not paralysed... A very strong judicial system that stops criminalisation of daily life and weeds out the criminals from the system, and sees to it that criminals cannot fight elections or win them through rigging... and instills fear in the minds of the criminals through a quick process of justice! But surely, not the way it is today – a process of endless delays and inefficiencies! And these are issues we at TSI have been relentlessly lobbying for since our inception. The other option is, of course, a Constitutional change that brings about a Presidential system in India – again an issue we at TSI have lobbied for in the past – so that like in the USA, the Indian leadership can also be determined on the basis of debates
and policies.

Until we can achieve either of the two, the need for educated and clean people to enter politics will unfortunately remain more of a slogan; for the environment is, I repeat, unfortunately not conducive for them to make any dent. Yet, I must say, they must not give up the hope. They must come forward and lobby for the right changes – and a strong judiciary is what should top their list and agenda. And if they keep their focus right, and fight for the correct causes, they will one day make the system conducive for the big change. I have personally always believed, “If you think you can, you are right!”… I am sure the time is not far when one amongst the educated and clean people will be bringing about change in this country... a change that we too can believe in... And at TSI, we will keep lobbying and doing our bit to make that change a reality.

Comments

venetian81 said…
very inspiring thoughts. Infact what I was thinking in my mind is what you said in a very polished, articulate and direct fashion. I have been in the US for the last 8 years and came for my education. Politics has always been my interest. I would like to come back and join politics. I think Barack Obama has inspired a new generation of Modern politics and I am ready to jump, lead and inspire India's youth for a new change. So watch out for me.
Unknown said…
Great blog!I agree with Arind 100%.I was thinking that someone should tell and convince the major parties,congress and BJP that both should get to-gather to put through a constitutional amendment to make smaller parties illegal.The democracy will be better served under two party system rather than twenty or more.It seems everyone who is not happy with the party he/she is with starts a new party and then all the horsetrading goes on to form a coalition.We should learn from American system.India may claim to be a biggest democracy but it's not,the best.
Malu Makhijani-Mumbai
Anonymous said…
Quick disposal of cases is one of the most important requirement but there are crores of cases pending and we need more judges. But again who will fill the vacant seat and why ?
sir,
educated doesn't vote. And main point is educated are more aware for their caste and religion. So, there is no way. We ofcoure also you because you are young see a division of India. Drawing room politics can't save country.

aamitkishore@yahoo.com
Uma said…
We need ACCOUNTABILITY not mere education. The main motivation for most politicians is power, bribes...we need to take bribery out of the system. It's not about who wants to become a good politician. It's about WHO WILL CATCH A CROOK? How many of us will report the babus who ask for bribes, instead of paying a little money to get things done?
I think Anna Hazare is one shining beacon of hope who KNOWS what ails the system and how to fix it.
He is our only hope against "Babudom". It is thanks to his RTI Act that I was able to gather all documentary evidence to proceed to court against a filthy corrupt Town Planner who was shielding a crook who encroached on my plot and trying to force me to sign that there was no encroachment.
I say, next time someone asks for a bribe KICK THEIR SMELLY CORRUPT BUTTS! Don't give up before giving it a fight.
Mangesh Soni said…
Dear Sir,

Indeed the article was inspiring and forced me to think of a different career avenue apart from doing MBA and joining some MNC, living life under targets and retiring with insufficient money to live thereafter.

I also ackowledge the fact that young people should think about politics as career and 'Managers' can lead their way as this one could also be a very challenging avenue of management.

'One who can manage, can manage in all spheres of life'

I would request you to throw some more light on the various aspects that how a manager could make his way in plitics given the fact that most of India's population votes on factors like castes, religion, influence and money. They just don't consider the cadidate and his abilites.

How we can pursuit this avenue.

Regards,
Mangesh
Unknown said…
its really inspiring article..we(my frenz)believe what u said...thats why we started participating in active politics since 2 years(as part of loksatta party in andhra pradesh)...have a heard about loksatta party under leadership of DR.Jaya Prakash Narayan(IAS)....as u know its not that easy to change politics but we need people especially youth come forward for better system.if u can go thru this website:http://www.loksatta.org/index.php
SHINU S said…
Dear Sir,

Good, inspiring, motivating blog.

Yes, we need a strong judiciary-quick in right actions- and real leaders having qualities which you posted here to SAVE OUR COUNTRY.

But How & When ???

We can't wait for another 15 or 20 years for that change. Only because in that very long period we'll lose all we have-if the judiciary and politics will be like as it is.


Waiting for your next post. . .



Shinu S.
Uma said…
How are you doing? I just feel that I have no motivation for desh-seva. As a 'common man' there are many who try to stop me from getting my basic constitutional Rights. I try to kick them out of the way, and in doing so I serve my own interests and of the country. That's it! I think Mahatma Gandhi was trying to do the same when he got pulled into the freedom struggle. I hope I don't get pulled into anything like that. I am too materialistic to put greater good before mine....and many who claim to be different are a sham. But those who truly are different...I salute them. I would join their crusade because I feel a commitment to their values and their cause. But desh-prem went out of the frickin window long ago! I don't love my country. I just got born here.

Popular posts from this blog

HATS OFF TO SHAH RUKH KHAN FOR STANDING HIS GROUND! IT’S NOW TIME TO END THIS HOOLIGANISM ONCE AND FOR ALL AND MAKE MUMBAI A UNION TERRITORY!

SRK is great! Not just because he is such a star, but because he genuinely is the most amazing person and has such a logical and sound brain. And now the entire nation idolizes this man all the more because he has become a symbol of sheer courage as well! And I think all it required was someone like him to stand up coolly and say, “This is not right, I’ve done nothing wrong and I won’t apologise.” When he was saying this, one could almost see the schoolboy rebel in him – not ready to cow down to an illogical man trying to act as the school headmaster. I am writing this editorial immediately after coming back from a show on NDTV 24x7, which was on the topic, “Is Sena the real power in Mumbai?” I was one of the speakers. It was sad to see Uddhav Thackeray, who was another speaker in that show, sticking to a stance that cannot be defended by any sense of logic. When questioned on the show by the NDTV anchor on his tendentious comments against SRK, Uddhav’s reply was that one should ask th

It’s important for Anna to become more flexible and respectful towards the democratic process, to give a bigger thrust to his movement

I was too young then to really remember it all; but I have heard from many people that the mass protests generated by the arrest of Anna Hazare are similar to the uprising called Total Revolution led by the late Jaiprakash Narayan in the early 1970s. In fact, it was the Total Revolution and the chaos that followed – and a historic blunder by Indira Gandhi – that led to the imposition of the Emergency in India in 1975. Many people are comparing today’s situation to the Emergency days. The people of India are so fed up and so disgusted with corruption and our rotten and corrupt system that the wave of protests we see is hardly surprising. I have often publicly called India not a democracy but a demonocracy where crooked politicians and their criminal cohorts are openly plundering the nation; well aware that a dysfunctional judicial system will allow them to get away. In almost all cases, they have actually got away and have hence acquired the arrogance and swagger of pirates who know

Don’t see “Slumdog Millionaire”. It sucks!

A phony poseur that has been made only to mock India for the viewing pleasure of the First World!! The emperor’s new clothes! That’s “Slumdog Millionaire” for you… Five minutes into this celebrated patchwork of illogical clichés and you are struck by the jarring dialogues. The cumbersome delivery in a language which doesn’t come naturally to most of the actors sounds like someone scratching on walls with one’s finger nails; it ruins the possibility of a connection… Had this film been made by an Indian director, it would’ve been trashed as a rotting old hat, which literally stands out only because of its stench, but since the man making it happens to be from the West, we’re all left celebrating the emperor’s new clothes. The film borrows an undoubtedly interesting narrative style – from films like “City of God” – but then uses it to weave in a collection of clichés from the Third World’s underbelly for the viewing pleasure of a First World audience. The real slumdog in the movie is not